The paper considers analysis of current status of available oil shale reserves in the Republic of Uzbekistan, an overview of oil shale fields is presented. The paper highlights peculiar characteristics of oil shales, which enable to consider them as a promising source of mineral raw materials for various industries that is of current interest. The paper provides a detailed description of geochemical features of Uzbekistan oil shales, which contain not only hydrocarbons but also rare-earth and platinum-group metals. A case study enabled determination of the chemical composition of Baysun and Sangruntau oil shales. Analysis was conducted using Elan DRCII IСP mass spectrometer to determine the composition and distribution of metals in oil shales. Analysis revealed the presence and content of elements, such as Мо, Re, V, Ni, Te, U, Pt, Pd, Au, Ag, Se, As, Cd, Sb, Bi, as well as rare-earth metals. Baysun shales exhibited higher Те, Аu, Cd, Hg, V, U content and clarke concentrations, while Sangruntau shales contained more Se, Mo, Au, and Re. Different laboratory method were used to determine metal content in Sangruntau shales. Literature analysis has demonstrated that some authors pay serious attention to adsorption of metals by organic matter, clays, apatite, ferrum oxide and others. They propose two borehole mining methods: in-situ coal gasification and in-situ metal leaching. Comparative analysis revealed advantages and disadvantages of in-situ coal gasification and in-situ metal leaching technologies. Mineralogical and geochemical studies provided important results and conclusions. Palaeogene Sangruntau and Baysun oil shales were found to differ substantially from their world analogs in terms of Mo, V, U, Re, Bi, Sb, Cd, Ni, Se, Fe, Tl, Au, Ag, Cu, Zn, Pb, Pd, Pt, Hg and rare-earth metal content. Comprehensive development of metal-bearing oil shales in the Republic of Uzbekistan presents apparent interest for expansion of fuel and energy balance as well as radioactive and rare-earth metal stocks.
oil shales, fields, geochemical features, rare earth metals, platinum-group metals, chemical analysis, chemical composition, technology, in-situ coal gasification, in-situ metal leaching, diagenesis, genesis
1. Prokhorenko G.А., Luzanovsky А.G., Artemova N.М. Metallonosnye goryuchie slantsy Respubliki Uzbekistan [Metal-bearing oil shales of the Republic of Uzbekistan]. Tashkent: Fun Publ., 1999.
2. Raimzhanov B.R., Yakubov S.I. Kompleksnaya razrabotka metallonosnykh goryuchikh slantsev s tsel'yu polucheniya energonositeley i metallov. [Comprehensive development of metal-bearing oil shales for production of energy sources and metals]. Gornyy informatsionno-analiticheskiy byulleten’, 2009, No. 6, pp. 286-289.
3. Krauskopf K. Sedimentary deposits of rare metals. // Econ. Geol. 50th Anniversary. 1955, Vol. 1, p.411
4. Krauskopf К. Osadochnye mestorozhdeniya redkikh metallov [Sedimentary deposits of rare metals.]. Challenges of ore fields. Moscow, Innostrannaya literatura, 1959. pp.375-478.
5. Strakhov N.М. Osnovnye teorii litogeneza [Main theories of lithogenesis]. Moscow: AN SSSR Publ., 1962, 212 p.
6. Isokov М.U., Turesebekov А.Kh., Borminsky S.I., Vasilevsky B.B., Sharipov Kh.Т., Deryugin Е.К. Geokhimiya i mineralogiya goryuchikh slantsev Uzbekistana [Geochemistry and mineralogy of oil shales in Uzbekistan]. Tashkent: NIIMR Publ., 2013, 78 p.
7. Byzeev V.К., Ten V.N. Teoreticheskie osnovy kompleksnoy skvazhinnoy razrabotki goryuchikh slantsev s polucheniem energonositeley i metallov [Theoretical background of comprehensive borehole mining of oil shales to obtain energy sources and metals]. Tashkent, Gornyy vestnik Uzbekistana, 2006, No.1.
8. Yevdokimova L.А., Kudinov А.А., Vasilev P.А. Metallonosnye goryuchie slantsy - istochnik rasshireniya toplivno-energeticheskogo balansa i syr'evoy bazy radioaktivnykh i redkozemel'nykh metallov [Metal-bearing oil shales – a source for expansion of fuel and energy balance and radioactive and rare-earth metal stocks]. Tashkent, Gornyy vestnik Uzbekistana, 2007, No. 1.
Tursebekov A.Kh., PhD, Head of Geotechnology Laboratory, Institute of Geology and Geophysics – State Committee of the Republic of Uzbekistan on Geology and Mineral Resources, Tashkent, Republic of Uzbekistan E-mail:
Shukurov N.E., PhD, Senior Research Associate, Geotechnology Laboratory, Institute of Geology and Geophysics – State Committee of the Republic of Uzbekistan on Geology and Mineral Resources, Tashkent, Republic of Uzbekistan E-mail:
Zununov A.Ch., Junior Research Associate, Geotechnology Laboratory, Institute of Geology and Geophysics – State Committee of the Republic of Uzbekistan on Geology and Mineral Resources, Tashkent, Republic of Uzbekistan E-mail:
Umarov Sh.A., PhD, Academic Secretary, Institute of Geology and Exploration of Oil and Gas Fields AO UZBEKNEFTEGAZ, Tashkent, Republic of Uzbekistan E-mail: ,
А.Kh. Turesebekov, N.E. Shukurov, А.Ch. Zununov, Sh.А. Umarov Aktual'nye voprosy geohimicheskih osobennostej rudonosnyh gorjuchih slancev uzbekistana [Major aspects of geochemical features of orebearing shales in uzbekistan]. Neftyanaya Provintsiya, No. 4(20), 2019. pp. 61-71. https://doi.org/10.25689/NP.2019.4.61-71 (in Russian)