Today, reservoirs are produced by horizontal wells in a non-systematic manner. This paper discusses the efficiency of horizontal drilling in the Bashkirian deposits. The objective is to optimize horizontal well spacing in Bashkirian carbonate reservoirs in Tatarstan. Several well spacing patterns have been proposed. Well patterns have been analyzed and compared with each other to identify the most efficient field development scenario. Two well patterns have been identified as the most efficient among the ten proposed variants. The results obtained are suggested to be used for improvement and systemization of reservoir development by horizontal wells. Transition from uncoordinated to systematic horizontal drilling can improve field development efficiency and increase oil production.
horizontal wells, uncoordinated drilling, systematic well placement, development scenarios, field development efficiency
1. R.Kh. Muslimov Nefteotdacha: proshloe, nastoyashchee, budushchee (optimizaciya dobychi, maksimizaciya KIN) [Oil recovery: past, present, future (production optimization, enhanced oil recovery)]. Kazan, Fen, Academy of Sciences of Tatarstan, 2014, 750 p (in Russian)
2. R.Kh. Muslimov, U.A. Volkov, L.G. Karpova, V.V. Tyurin, D.G. Yarakhanova Razrabotka neftyanyh mestorozhdenij gorizontal'nymi skvazhinami: opyt i dostizheniya [Oil field development by horizontal wells: experience and advances]. Kazan, Pluton, 2017, 450 p (in Russian)
3. D.G. Yarakhanova Reshenie problem pozdnej stadii razrabotki s pomoshch'yu gorizontal'nyh skvazhin [Solutions for mature filed development using horizontal wells].: Proceedings of the International research-to-practice conference "Innovations in oil and gas field exploration and development". Kazan, Ikhlas, 2016, V.2, pp.249-251 (in Russian)
4. D.G. Yarakhanova O razvitii gorizontal'nyh tekhnologij [On advances in horizontal drilling technologies]. Proceedings of the International research-to-practice conference "Horizontal wells and hydraulic fracturing to improve efficiency of oil field development". Kazan, Slovo, 2017, pp.305-307 (in Russian)
5. D.G. Yarakhanova O celesoobraznosti primeneniya gorizontal'nyh tekhnologij nefteizvlecheniya s uchyotom geologo-tekhnologicheskih uslovij [Viability of horizontal drilling technologies in terms of geologic and engineering conditions]. Neftyanoye Khozyaistvo, 2015, No.6, pp. 68-71 (in Russian)
6. D.G. Yarakhanova Upravlenie vyrabotkoj zapasov nefti, dreniruemyh gorizontal'nymi skvazhinami [Management of oil reserves recovery using horizontal wells]. Neftyanoye Khozyaistvo, 2015, No.4, pp.56-58 (in Russian)
7. D.G. Yarakhanova The feasibility of drilling horizontal wells. 1st EAGE Scientific Workshop on Horizontal Wells: Problems and Prospects: Conference Paper; European Association of Geoscientists and Engineers, EAGE. Code 121355-Moscow, Russian Federation; 20 - 21 October 2015, pp. 1–4.
Yarakhanova D.G., PhD, Associate Professor, Kazan Federal University, Kazan, Republic of Tatarstan, Russian Federation E-mail:
Shakirov A.N., Dr.Sc (Geology and Mineralogy), Professor, Head of Scientific Research Center, Academy of Sciences of Tatarstan, Kazan, Republic of Tatarstan, Russian Federation E-mail:
D.G. Yarakhanova, A.N. Shakirov Varianty primenenija gorizontal'nogo i mnogozabojnogo burenija dlja povyshenija jeffektivnosti razrabotki otlozhenij bashkirskogo jarusa [Horizontal and multilateral drilling to improve efficiency of oil production from bashkirian deposits]. Neftyanaya Provintsiya, No. 4(20), 2019. pp. 287-299. https://doi.org/10.25689/NP.2019.4.287-299 (in Russian)