ALTERNATIVE SOURCE OF NATURAL GAS AND ITS PRODUCTION POTENTIAL
Chikina M.I., Shevnina Yu.А., Bukharova I.А., Zaray Е.А., Smagina T.N.
To date, producing natural gas fields are substantially depleted. Gas hydrate fields are promising production targets, which can enable manifold increase of the resource base and unlock the potential of existing fields under development, particularly given that this is the largest undeveloped unconventional gas source. Russia is currently lagging too far behind global trends in natural gas hydrate research, while some countries are planning to proceed to the pilot development stage in the nearest future. That is why this issue is of particular interest. This study is targeted at gas hydrate accumulations of West Siberia associated with the highest production potential. The purpose of this project is to validate a replicable method for identification and evaluation of promising gas hydrate deposits based on detailed study of mode of occurrence, geological and field analysis and properties of gas hydrate-bearing rocks. Other objectives include assessment of gas-hydrate resources, production potential and cost-effectiveness analysis through the example of NK Rosneft’ field. The study involved analyses and systematization of Russian and international experience in identification, characterization and development of gas hydrate accumulations; definition of the main criteria of the presence of gas hydrate accumulations, identification of potentially productive gas hydrate accumulations in West Siberia. Methods for identification of gas hydrate accumulations and estimation of porosity and saturation were proposed and validated. A gas hydrate accumulation was identified within the field under study; a simplified reservoir simulation model was used to assess the resource potential of gas hydrate in-place and development opportunities. The project is economically viable. Results obtained to date provide significant insight into geological and geophysical aspects of gas hydrates, principles of prospecting, identification and assessment of resource potential of gas hydrate accumulations as demonstrated by the example of NK Rosneft’s field.
natural gas hydrates, natural gas, hydrate stability, permanently frozen rocks (permafrost), potentially productive zone, resources, gas hydrate development.
1. S.E. Agalakov, A.R. Kurchikov Resursy gaza v zonah stabil'nosti gazogidratov na severe Zapadnoj Sibiri [Gas resources in gas-hydrate stability zones in the northern part of West Siberia]. Nauka i tekhnika v gazovoj promyshlennosti, No. 1-2, 2004. pp. 26-35. (in Russian)
2. A.E. Vorob'ev, V.P. Malyukov Gazovye gidraty. Tekhnologii vozdejstviya na netradicionnye uglevodorody [Gas-hydrates. Stimulation technologies for unconventional hydrocarbon reserves]. Moscow, 2nd edition, 2009. 292 p. (in Russian)
3. Gazogidraty: tekhnologii dobychi i perspektivy razrabotki//Direkciya po strategicheskim issledovaniyam v energetike [Gas hydrates: reservoir engineering technologies and development prospects. Directorate for strategic research in energy sector]. Moscow, 2013. 22 p. (in Russian)
4. G.A. Zotov, Z.S. Aliev Instrukciya po kompleksnomu issledovaniyu gazovyh i gazokondensatnyh plastov i skvazhin [Manual for integrated research gas and gascondensate formations and wells]. Moscow: Nedra Publ., 1980. 301 p. (in Russian)
5. Il'in A. V. Novye ob"ekty poiska uglevodorodnogo syr'ya v nadsenomanskih otlozheniyah severa Tyumenskoj oblasti [New hydrocarbon exploration targets in the post-Cenomanian formations in the northern part of Tyumen region]. Geology and prospecting for minerals: Proc. of the 10th Conference of young professionals, Hanty-Mansijsk – Novosibirsk, 2010. (in Russian)
6. S.A. Leonov Perspektivy gidratonosnosti nadsenomanskih otlozhenij Severa Zapadnoj Sibiri [Gas hydrate potential of the post-Cenomanian formations in the northern part of West Siberia]. Moscow: OOO Gazprom VNIIGAZ Publ., 2009. 123 p. (in Russian)
7. Timothy S. Collett, Rastushchij interes k gazovym gidratam [Interest to gas hydrates grows]. Neftegazovoe obozrenie, No. 2, Vol 6, 2001. pp. 39-53 (translated from English)
8. M.I. Chikina, Yu.A. Shevnina Al'ternativnyj istochnik prirodnogo gaza i perspektivy ego osvoeniya [Alternative gas source and prospects of its development]. Collection of papers of winners of the all-Russia Contest Novaya Ideya organized by Energy Ministry, RF. Moscow, 2019. p. 134 (in Russian) 9. M.I. Chikina, Yu.A. Shevnina Al'ternativnyj istochnik prirodnogo gaza i perspektivy ego osvoeniya [Alternative gas source and prospects of its development]. Proc. of the 3rd research to practice conference Rosgeologiya. V poiskah novyh otkrytij. Irkutsk, 2018 (in Russian)
Chikina M.I., LLC «Tyumen Petroleum Research Center», Tyumen, Russian Federation E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Shevnina Yu.А., LLC «Tyumen Petroleum Research Center», Tyumen, Russian Federation E-mail: email@example.com
Bukharova I.А., LLC «Tyumen Petroleum Research Center», Tyumen, Russian Federation E-mail: IABukharova@tnnc.rosneft.ru
Zaray Е.А., LLC «Tyumen Petroleum Research Center», Tyumen, Russian Federation E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Smagina T.N., LLC «Tyumen Petroleum Research Center», Tyumen, Russian Federation E-mail: TNSmagina@tnnc.rosneft.ru
M.I. Chikina, Yu.А. Shevnina, I.А. Bukharova, Е.А. Zaray, T.N. Smagina Al'ternativnyj istochnik prirodnogo gaza i perspektivy ego osvoenija [Alternative source of natural gas and its production potential]. Neftyanaya Provintsiya, No. 3(19), 2019. pp. 72-88. https://doi.org/10.25689/NP.2019.3.72-88 (in Russian)