The paper reviews the history of studies of the crystalline basement in Tatarstan, and the progress of the ultra-deep drilling program. The paper offers scientific rationale of produced oil and gas fields’ replenishment at the cost of hydrocarbons’ deep inflow through oil-bearing channels connecting the deepseated hydrocarbon source with the deposits in the sedimentary mantle. From a standpoint of the search for hydrocarbon reserves, the crystalline basement is a promising target, however its role as a transiter for replenishment of deposits in the sedimentary mantle with hydrocarbons in the process of continued degassing of the Earth is far more important and justified. A principally new approach to building of geologic and geologic-dynamic models with consideration of fundamental geological concepts concerning forming and re-forming of oil and gas fields and deep degassing processes is offered. Prospects of development of “old” fields that have been produced for a long time, methods of oil recovery factor estimation considering oil migration into a deposit from the entrails of the Earth, necessity to modify methods of reserves auditing and in-place reserves’ estimation, change of material balance equations are justified; theoretical and practical suggestions regarding consideration of fundamental concepts of subsurface reservoir geology are provided. Waterflooding methods have not yet exhausted their potential, on the contrary, in the light of the discovered processes of replenishment of deposits with hydrocarbons and reforming of oil and gas fields at the late stage of development their importance will only increase.
forming and re-forming of oil and gas fields, degassing of Earth, crystalline basement, oil-bearing channels, North-Tatarian and South-Tatarian Arches, abnormal and normal wells, carbon, hydrogen, hydrocarbons, oil replenishment, replacement of hydrocarbons, geologic and geologic-dynamic models, water-flooded development, innovative development projects, unconventional hydrocarbons.
1. Yusupov B.M. Novaya koncepciya problemy proiskhozhdeniya nefti i prirodnogo goryuchego gaza [New concept of oil and natural gas origin]. Ufa. 1982. (in Russian)
2. Muslimov R.H., Khammadeev F.M., Ibatullin R.H., Kaveev I.H. Programma dal'nejshego izucheniya glubinnyh nedr Tatarii [Program of further studies of the Earth’s interior in Tatarstan]. Glubinnye issledovaniya dokembriya vostoka Russkoj platform [Deep studies of the Pre-Cambrian sediment in the eastern part of the Russian platform]. Collection of papers. Kazan: Tatknigoizdat Publ., 1980. pp. 3-13. (in Russian)
3. Muslimov R.H., Lobov V.A., Khammadeev F.M. et al. Obosnovanie zalozheniya i osnovnye rezul'taty bureniya skvazhiny 20000 [Justification for drilling of Well No. 20000 and main drilling results] Glubinnye issledovaniya arhejskogo fundamenta vostoka Russkoj platformy v Minnibaevskoj skvazhiny 20000 [Deep studies of the Archean basement in the eastern part of the Russian platform in the Minnibaevskaya Well No. 20000] Kazan: Tatknigoizdat Publ., 1976. pp. 3-14 (in Russian)
4. Muslimov R.H., Kaveev I.H. Obosnovanie zalozheniya, geologicheskij glubinnyj razrez i zadachi skvazhiny 20009 [Justification for drilling of Well No. 20009, geological crosssection, and objectives of the well] Geologicheskie i tekhnologicheskie osobennosti zalozheniya Novo-Elhovskoj skvazhiny 20009 [Geological and operational characteristics of Novo-Elkhovskaya Well No. 20009], Abstracts of scientific-technical conference, Almetyevsk, 1988. pp. 3-6 (in Russian)
5. Muslimov R.H., Izotov V.G., Sitdikova L.M. Kristallicheskij fundament Tatarskogo svoda – potencial'nyj generator uglevodorodov Romashkinskogo mestorozhdeniya [Crystalline basement of Tatarian arch as a potential oil generator for Romashkinskoye oil field]. Proc. of Conference “New ideas in geology and geochemistry of oil and gas”. Moscow, MGU Publ., 1998, pp. 147-149. (in Russian)
6. Muslimov R.H., Plotnikova I.N. Problemy neftegazonosnosti kristallicheskogo fundamenta i ego rol' v formirovanii zalezhej nefti v osadochnom chekhle [Problems of hydrocarbon potential of crystalline basement and its role in forming of oil deposits in sedimentary mantle]. Proc. of Conference “New ideas in geology and geochemistry of oil and gas”. Moscow, MGU Publ., 1998, pp. 150-151. (in Russian)
7. Trofimov V.A., Korchagin V.I. Neftepodvodyashchie kanaly: prostranstvennoe polozhenie, metody obnaruzheniya i sposoby ih aktivizacii [Oil-bearing channels: spatial position, methods of localization, and techniques to activate]. Georesursy No. 1(9), 2002. (in Russian)
8. Muslimov R.H., Glumov N.F., Plotnikova I.N., Trofimov V.A., Nurgaliev D.K. Neftegazovye mestorozhdeniya – samorazvivayushchiesya i postoyanno vozobnovlyaemye ob’ekty [Oil-and-gas fields as spontaneously developing and continuously replaceable features]. Geologiya nefti i gaza. Special issue, 2004. pp. 43-49. (in Russian)
9. Muslimov R.H. Vozobnovlyayutsya li zapasy nefti? [Do oil reserves replace themselves&] EKO, No. 1(145), 2012. pp. 29–34. (in Russian)
10. Plotnikova I.N., Ahmetov A.N., Delev A.N., Usmanov S.A., Sharipov B.R. Geoinformacionnye podhody k izucheniyu Romashkinskogo mestorozhdeniya [Geoinformational approaches to study of Romashkinskoye field]. Izvestiya VUZov. Gornyj zhurnal, No. 7, 2011. pp. 63-67. (in Russian)
11. Plotnikova I.N., G.T. Salakhidinova Geohimicheskie kriterii identifikacii nevyrabotannyh uchastkov neftyanyh zalezhej na pozdnej stadii ih razrabotki [Geochemical criteria for identification of by-passed zones of oil deposits at the late development stage]. Neft i gaz, No. 5, 2017. pp. 83–102. (in Russian)
12. Plotnikova I.N. Sovremennyj process vozobnovleniya zapasov uglevodorodnogo syr'ya: gipotezy i fakty [Present-day process of replenishment of hydrocarbon reserves: hypotheses and facts]. Georesursy, Vol. 15, No. 1, 2004. p. 40. (in Russian)
13. Ashirov K.B., T.M. Borgest, A.L. Karev Obosnovanie prichin mnogokratnoj vospolnimosti zapasov nefti i gaza na razrabatyvaemyh mestorozhdeniyah Samarskoj oblasti [Justification for causes of multiple replenishment of oil and gas reserves in developed fields in Samara region]. Izvestiya Samarskogo nauchnogo centra RAN, No. 1, 2000, Vol. 2. pp. 166–173. (in Russian)
14. Bochkarev V.A., S.B. Ostrouhov, S.E. Sianisyan Koncepciya dvuhetapnogo formirovaniya zalezhej uglevodorodov zapadnogo borta Prikaspijskoj vpadiny [Concept of two-stage forming of hydrocarbon deposits in the western flank of pre-Caspian depression]. Successes of organic geochemistry: Proc. of all-Russia scientific conference, 11–15 Oct, 2010. Novosibirsk: INGG SO RAN Publ., 2010. pp. 64–69. (in Russian)
15. Gavrilov V.P. Neft' i gaz – vozobnovlyaemye resursy [Oil and gas are renewable resources] Gubkin Russian State University of Oil and Gas. Available at: P_statya_Neft%20 gaz%20vozobnovlyaemy.pdf
16. Degazaciya Zemli: geoflyuidy, neft i gaz, paragenezy v sisteme goryuchih iskopaemyh [Degassing of Earth: geofluids, oil and gas, paragenesis in the system of combustible fossils]. Abstracts of International conference, 30–31 May – 1 June, 2006. Moscow: GEOS Publ., 2006. 320 p.
17. Degazaciya Zemli: geodinamika, geoflyuidy, neft', gaz i ih paragenezy [Degassing of Earth: geodynamics, geofluids, oil, gas and their paragenesis]. Proc. of All-Russia Conference. GEOS Publ., Moscow, 2008. 622 p. (in Russian).
18. Degazaciya Zemli i genezis neftegazovyh mestorozhdenij [Degassing of the Earth and genesis of oil and gas fields]. Collection of papers. Moscow: GEOS Publ., 2011. 503 p. (in Russian)
19. Goryunov E.Yu., P.A. Ignatov, D.N. Klement'eva et al. Proyavleniya sovremennyh podtokov uglevodorodov v neftegazonosnye kompleksy na territorii Volgo-Ural'skoj neft'egazonosnoj provincii [Evidence of present-day hydrocarbon inflow on oil-and-gas plays on the territory of Volga-Urals oil and gas province]. Geologiya nefti i gaza, No. 5, 2015. pp. 62-69. (in Russian)
20. Zapivalov, N.P. Dinamika zhizni neftyanogo mestorozhdeniya [Dynamics of an oil filed life]. Izvestiya Tomskogo politekhnicheskogo universiteta Publ., No. 1, 2012, Vol. 321. pp. 206-211. (in Russian)
21. Kazancev, Yu.V. Vozmozhnost' popolneniya zapasov uglevodorodnogo syr'ya v staryh mestorozhdeniyah v svete sejsmotektonicheskih issledovanij [Potentialities of replenishment of reserves of hydrocarbons in old fields in the light of seismic and tectonic surveys] Geologicheskij sbornik No. 6. Informational materials of Institute of Geology of Ufa Research Centre of Russian Acad. of Sc. Ufa, IG UNC RAN Publ., 2007. pp. 74-78. (in Russian)
22. Kas'yanova N.A. Geoflyuidodinamicheskie dokazatel'stva sovremennogo vospolneniya zapasov neftegazovyh zalezhej [Geofluidodynamic evidence of present-day replenishment of oil and gas deposits]. Geologiya, geografiya i global'naya energiya, No. 3(38), 2010. pp. 14–16. (in Russian)
23. Iktisanov, V.A. Koncepciya nefteobrazovaniya i vospolneniya zapasov v istoshchennyh mestorozhdeniyah [Concept of oil generation and reserves’ replacement in depleted fields] Collection of research papers of PJSC TATNEFT. Issue No. LXXXIV. Moscow: OAO VNIIONG Publ., 2016. pp. 214-218. (in Russian)
24. Zakirov S.N., Indrupskij I.M. Zakirov E.S. et al. Novye principy i tekhnologii razrabotki mestorozhdenij nefti i gaza [Novel principles and technologies for development of oil and gas fields] Part 2. Moscow-Izhevsk: Institute of computer studies, NIC Regular and chaotic dynamics, 2009. 484 p. (in Russian).
25. Zakirov S.N., Zakirov E.S., Indrupskij I.M. Novye predstavleniya v 3D geologicheskom i gidrodinamicheskom modelirovanii [New concepts in 3D static and dynamic modeling] Neftyanoe Khozyajstvo, No. 1, 2006. pp. 34-41. (in Russian)
26. Muslimov R.Kh. Nefteotdacha; proshloe, nastoyashchee, budushchee (optimizaciya dobychi, maksimizaciya KIN) [Oil recovery: the past, the present, and the future (optimization of production, maximization of oil recovery] FAN Publ., 2012. 664 p. (in Russian)
27. D'yachuk I.A. K voprosu pereformirovaniya neftyanyh mestorozhdenij i plastov [On reforming of oil fields and deposits] Georesursy, No. 1(60), 2015. pp. 39-46. (in Russian).
Muslimov R.Kh., Dr. Sc., Professor of Oil and Gas Geology Chair at Kazan Federal University, Member of the Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Tatarstan, Russian Academy of Natural Sciences and the Academy of Mining Sciences, Kazan, Republic of Tatarstan, Russian Federation E-mail:
R.Kh. Muslimov Poluvekovoj opyt respubliki Tatarstan v izuchenii roli kristallicheskogo fundamenta v formirovanii i vozobnovlenii resursnoj bazy regionov [Half-century experience of republic of tatarstan in studies of crystalline basement’s role in forming and renewal of regional resource base]. Neftyanaya Provintsiya, No. 3(19), 2019. pp. 1-28. DOI https://doi.org/10.25689/NP.2019.3.1-28 (in Russian)